Grove Street School
It stood on the high rear section of the lot that has since been leveled. This corner was given to the Haddonfield Grove School Company in 1809 by William Haddon and his wife, Ann, with the understanding that it was to be used for the sole purpose of erecting a school for Haddonfield.
A small one-story building was erected on the rear of the lot from Grove street. For 50 years this was the only public school building in town, and it also served as the religious service site during that time. In fact, school often took second place it a religious activity moved in.
The present Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist, and Presbyterian congregations had their beginnings there. It was a very plain building with hard, uncushioned seats and unpainted desks.
When larger school buildings were erected the little schoolhouse was used for colored children. The “Brown Building” was erected on Lincoln avenue near Chestnut street and it was dedicated in 1870. Eventually this became the original high school when four rooms and a laboratory were added.
Thus, in 1904 a complete secondary program became possible and 10 students formed the first graduating class in 1905. Who could ever forget G. Charles “Pop” Clever conducting classes in that third floor lab?
A new high school was dedicated in 1908 on the corner of Chestnut street and Lincoln avenue.
The “Red Brick” building was build in 1890, where the administrative office is now located, and four years later the White Building was built. The Central School stands there now. The Elizabeth Haddon school in 1913, Tatem School and Lincoln School in 1923, were all built. The Haddonfield Memorial High School was moved into up on the Highway in 1926, as was the Central school in 1948. The school system became integrated in 1948, and the Lincoln school down near Ellis Street was eventually sold to the State Highway Department.
Well remembered is Mrs. Coy’s classroom in the old “White” building. This was the “dummy” class until one’s son became a member when it then suddenly would become the “opportunity” class. How times have changed.
Also recalled is the old deserted Grove Street school building being the site of many a cowboy and Indian skirmish. The neighborhood boys had a lot of fun there before it was demolished.
Much of this data was from the book “This is Haddonfield”,
form the Historical Society...
||Days of Yore Homepage|