About 1925 there was a town football team composed of local boys that had a very successful season playing in an independent Class B league.
The team manager was Ralph Hill, the coach was Sam Birney, and the treasurer was Harry Milnes. The players who can be remembered were June Pennock, Cliff Garwood, Harry Wagner, Karl Tule, and the captain was Ed Braddock. Several years later there was another town team playing on the Elizabeth Haddon field. Team members were well known High School alumni and some recalled were El Neeley, Johnny Gilmore, Finney Wood, Al Driscoll, Cliff Garwood, Polly Holloway, Billy Mason, Buzz Sheridan, Bumps Richardson, Don Rommel, Shiek Catando, and Mike LaBove. One "Turkey Day" the High School team was played before the annual Haddonfield-Haddon Heights game was initiated. That year the School team was undefeated and unscored on. In that game¹s fourth quarter Ed Braddock, who had been the fullback that year on a fine Penn State team, scored on a long run that gave the alumni a 6-0 victory. He faked out the last high school defender, Sammy Gass, for the score. What a game, what a memory!
The Haddonfield Golf Course was once in the section of town that now is Homestead Avenue, North Drive, Hinchman Avenue, and all the intersecting streets. The Course was built by townspeople and was in the Borough limits. Oldtimers still remember earning their spending money in their teenage years caddying around the area in 1917. They remember the clubhouse where Homestead Avenue is now. Blue law Haddonfield did not permit golf to be played on Sunday so eventually land was secured up off Warwick Road and Mr. Walker¹s produce and dairy farm was purchased. The Tavistock Country Club with its eighteen-hole course became a reality. The old Haddonfield Course stood idle and the land that once was Mr. Hinchman¹s farm, then a golf course, became a beautiful suburban residential addition of growing Haddonfield.
Since 1901 the Haddon Gazette has continually served a weekly news story of Haddonfield. A schoolteacher from Marlton, Mr. Allen Clymer, moved into town and began to publish a weekly newspaper. His editorial room and press were at the rear of his residence that was on east Main Street where Haddon Avenue has been cut through to Ellis Street. The newspaper was obtained in stores on the highway, as there was no home delivery. It had a four-cent price, and a year¹s mail subscription cost $1.50. Eventually Mr. Clymer sold the publication to his son, Heister, who was the publisher until his brother, Victor H. Clymer bought it. Heister worked for Vic until he became the Borough Clerk and then later in 1924 had the Postmaster position in Haddonfield. On Victor¹s death his son George, printed the paper until it was sold to Mr. Louis F. Klauder who was the publisher of the Moorestown weekly paper. The next owner was Mr. Frank Kelemen, the owner of several local weekly papers, and he sold out ultimately to the Gannett Group and now the Haddon Gazette is a member of the Suburban Newspaper Group.
||Days of Yore Homepage|