For instance, it is unknown how Coles Mill road, one of the first avenues of travel in town, ever was given the name that it has, as history does not record that there was ever a mill in that section of the village.
Along the shore of Cooper’s Creek, near Grove street was where Elizabeth Haddon first settled when she came over from England.
In 1799, Job Cole purchased the tract from her and he built a landing of the Creek’s bank which ws know as Coles Landing. Job established a coal business with coal that ws barged down on the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers from Pennsylvania, and after it was transferred to smaller barges it was brought up Cooper’s Creek to Coles Landing.
Now will someone expain why we have Coles Mill road? Shouldn’t it have been named Coles Landing road instead?
Take a look at the old milestone standing on the corner of Haddon avenue and Kings highway east. Its has been there for years with the arrow pointing up the highway towards Moorestown, though the cutting on the stone says five miles to Gloucester. Someone rally goofed long ago when that marker was set.
What really happened to the old school bell that mysteriously disappeared after it was removed form the iron girdered tower that stood on the Lincoln Avenue School grounds? It tolled the school hours for many years but when it was no longer being used it was dismantled in about 1928, and placed in the rear of the boiler room with other odds and ends.
After quite a time had elapsed, three boys moved the bell using an express wagon to a small foundry that ws in the back of Hand’s nautical instrument factory which then existed on Washington avenue across from the railroad station.
This foundry, a one man operation, made on order, metal objects. The bell was melted down and an ornament was made for a bird bath for a family that lived on Chester avenue up in Moorestown. So the bell wound up looking like a crane or a heron without stretched wings.
Another town bell mysteriously disappeared when its use ws no longer needed and it would be so interesting to learn whatever did happen to it.
The fire bell stop the old firehouse rang our fire alarms for many decades and well remembered ws how it was tapped one tap for each year of his life, when a deceased volunteer fireman’s funeral procession passed Haddon avenue on the way to the cemetery.
It was removed from the tower when the firehouse was demolished so the new one could be built on the site. The bell was lowered and placed to the rear yard of the property.
By mid afternoon of that same day, it had disappeared.
Who took it and whatever happened to it has never been discovered, but
some junkman probably knows the answer.
||Days of Yore Homepage|