Days of Yore
.
as recounted by

Bill Day

 



Historic Haddon avenue
There was a highway between Haddonfield and Camden that in 1847 became the first turnpike in Camden County.  It was incorporated with the name, Haddonfield-Camden Turnpike Company.  It is now Haddon Avenue.  To traverse the entire length there was a three cent charge, with the tolls being collected at three toll houses along the pike.  The first was between Haddonfield and Westmont and was located where Duffy's garden store is now in Westmont on Haddon Avenue.  When the one penny toll was paid a wide gate was swung open and the person could drive on toward Collingswood.

In Collingswood, probably near Collins avenue, there was another house, and the last one was at Ferry avenue near Harleigh cemetery.  That was the last toll collected and a person then proceeded on through Camden to the center of the city.  All of this for three cents.  Obviously the directors of that first turnpike in the days of yore operated differently than the present turnpike authorities.

Remember how in 1929 one could go from Haddonfield to Philadelphia to attend a big league baseball game at Shibe Park and then come back home for the grand total of one dollar and seventy-five cents.  Well, it was possible and here is how it could be done.

Ten cents was the trolley fare to the ferry across the Delaware River.  Five cents was the cost of the ferry ride over to Market street in Philadelphia.  Then a walk up the hill to Fifth street.  Two tokens and transfers for 15 cents purchased on boarding a number 21 trolley rode one out to Lehigh avenue with the transfer taking one up to twenty-first and Lehigh to Shibe Park.  The remaining token and transfer were used for the return trip.

A grandstand seat cost one dollar with a ten-cent tax.  A dime bought two Burke's hot dogs in big rolls if purchased outside the Park.  You put on all the mustard you wished yourself.  Inside the Park the Dogs were a dime for one.  Ice cold lemonade was ten cents a cup.  No beer was sold.  Inside the Park, grilled Dogs and sandwiches were available.  If one was economy minded, a bleacher seat could be had for fifty-five cents, including tax.

The players on those Connie Mack teams remembered were Jimmy Fixx, Mickey Cochrane, Jimmy Dykes, Al Simmons, Bing Miller, Doc Cramer (from Manahawkin), George Earnshaw, Lefty Grove, Rube Walburg, Joe Boley, and Max Bishop.  If these boys started playing baseball at more than seven thousand dollars a year they were lucky.  When the game started, what a game they played!

After checking with all know sources, the probable location during the Civil War, of the old Odd Fellows Hall in 1863, was the corner of Lincoln avenue and Washington avenue.  Part of the building still stands and it was also once the Masonic Temple.  During the War it was the recruiting station when Captain William C. Shinn, a Haddonfield man, was detailed to secure one hundred enlistments from Camden County.  The Hall was adjacent to the railroad station which was then the public transportation into town.


DayHikes.info Homepage
Contact Alan Day
Days of Yore Homepage