It would be difficult to name all the early settlers of this area for it is a certainty that some names would be missed. However, the following are listed with their relationships.
Francis Collins, a friend of John Haddon, established the estate, Mountwell, and erected the first white man’s home in the area; John Willis, a friend of John Haddon, who built the house that Elizabeth Haddon lived in on Coles Mill road when she first came to America; John Kay, a leading citizen in the Newton Colony and a landowner near Barclay Farm and of the area surrounding Evans Pond.
Elizabeth Haddon, daughter of John Haddon, an English Quaker; John Estaugh, an minister in the Society of Friends, and Elizabeth’s husband; Ebenezer Hopkins, Elizabeth Haddon’s nephew who she raised as her own son; John Estaugh Hopkins, the eldest son of Ebenezer Hopkins; John Gill, Elizabeth’s cousin; William Estaugh Hopkins, son of John Estaugh Hopkins, and “Birdwood’s” first tenant.
Thomas Redman, a druggist in town around 1737, whose later family owned most of West Haddonfield; Timothy Matlack, born in Philadelphia, who wrote out formally, the Declaration of Independence; John K Roberts, in 1816 owned the Indian King, and when possessor of the farm that fronted on Kings highway and extended from the Baptist Cemetery to Potter street, built the farmhouse still standing at 344 east Kings highway. His son, J. Morris Roberts, was the first elected Mayor in town.
Samuel Nicholson, the husband of Rebecca Hopkins, the daughter of William Estaugh Hopkins, of “Birdwood”; Ann Hopkins Nicholson, daughter of Samuel Nicholson, of 65 Haddon avenue, who married a Philadelphian, Charles Rhoads; Samuel Nicholson Rhoads, born in Philadelphia in 1862, but raised in “The Estaugh”, which was at 65 Haddon avenue; John Middleton, who gave land from his farm to straighten Kings highway in 1796. The farm was where the High School now stands.
William Coffin, whose family interests were in timber and glassworks down in Hammonton. He came to Haddonfield about 1852 and built “The Lindens” which later became The Bancroft School.
Judge John Clement, raised thirteen children in Haddonfield in the 1818 era; James B. Cooper, a Camden boy, moved to Haddonfield after the Revolution. He was known as the fighting Quaker, and to the consternation of the Friends in town he was buried in the meetinghouse graveyard.
Louisa Cuthbert Hopkins, a Hopkins widow. lived
in “Birdwood” where she raised five sons; Stephen Munson Day, first headmaster
of the Haddonfield Friends School in 1802; James Lane Pennypacker, a Philadelphia
businessman, active in local affairs in the 1884 era..
||Days of Yore Homepage|