The Borough of Haddonfield, the Borough of
ant Borough of Woodlynne, and the Township of Haddon once
Township of Haddon in the 1880's. In 1875 the village of
in the Township of Haddon became a Borough. Five
Streets and three Commissioners of Appeals were elected.
the new Borough and could pass laws that were not covered by
The township of Haddon continued to control assessments, taxes and
statistics. John H. Lippincoutt was President of the new
In 1897 the State Legislature passed a new law called the Borough
it became necessary to hold an election to obtain a Mayor and six
559 citizens voted J. Morris Roberts became the first elected
Haddonfield. The six council Morrismen were Samuell Brown,
Budd, Richard Gardner, Isaac E. Shivers, Benjamin F. Shreves, and
R. Stevenson. All legal connections with the Township of
ceased and records were set up for all phases of municipal
Prior to this time all records of births and deaths were reported
Township. The assessed valuation in 1898 was $1,521,925.00
budget was $7000.00 The school tax was $6,125.00. The first
elected in 1898 from Haddonfield was Samuel Wood. He also
the Township of Haddon. In 1911 the State Legislature passed
form of government" law and a special election was held on
with 692 votes cast in the four election districts of the Borough
thus had a new form of government, as 413 were in favor with 273
opposed. Two months later at the Municipal Election the
of commissioners for the Borough was elected. The three
elected wer Joseph K. Lippincott, Montreville Shinn and Bayard C.
Mr. Lippincott was named Mayor and President of the Board.
of Haddonfield has continued to operate under the Commission form
from that time up to the present.